Monday, January 09, 2006

D Code stablility & Kernel Module and function calls

I have been practicing DTrace, one of a few things to share


After I have worked on different platforms with different kernel
modules, some times even with grid systems and resource virtualization
such as processors, zone, file systems etc. I have realized that
my D code stability in terms of solaris engineering or portability
and reusability in terms of software engineering is where
I need to spend time on.

(1) different versions of kernel modules such as files systems
and different versions of in kernel function calls

(2) different platform architecture design and implementation such
as cpu kernel structures etc. I felt lucky to deal with VM and
VFS since they do the abstraction for me. However, CPU is
one of the exception

(3) normal host based instrumentation vs virtualization environment
such as zone specific.


This may not only for NFS, but NFS is one of the use cases to I need
to continue to put my thoughts on. However, It may not always
introduce more kernel abstraction and encapsulation and some work
still can be done at D code level so that my D code can be more
extendable to the new platforms, kernel modules and kernel functions
as for the different versions of kernel modules and functions, they
are really the challenges for my D code since it means I need to
keep my D code to sync with the life cycle of your module and
functions releases.

No comments: